- ⅓ cup of oil, such as coconut oil (melted) or vegetable oil
- ½ cup honey or any other liquid sweetener
- 2 eggs
- 2 medium bananas, mashed ( approx. 1 cup mashed)
- ¼ cup of milk of choice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon or 1 tsp of vanilla extract ( I used 1 tsp)
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour or regular whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons of cardamom powder (replace replace with ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, if wanted.)
- Optional mix ins: ½ cup of anything like walnuts, pecans, dried fruits, raisins, etc.
- Grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (165 degrees Celsius).
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, cardamom and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat/whisk the oil and honey well. Add the eggs and beat well. Then add the mashed bananas, milk, and vanilla. Whisk gently the wet ingredients into the flour mixture until combined. Gently fold in additional mix ins, if using. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. It would take longer if you added additional mix ins. Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then to a wire rack to cool before slicing.
- You can use jaggery in the place of the honey. Simply heat 1 cup jaggery (grated) and oil over very low heat. Stir until it is like the consistency of melted chocolate and then remove it from the heat. Set aside to cool.
*Adapted from Cookie and Kate